We believe in the power of every person.
- Refining methods and evaluation criteria for regulatory assessments of the potential allergenicity of genetically modified crops.
- Identification of food allergens.
- Management of AllergenOnline.org database for food risk assessment.
- Bioinformatics methods for evaluating the allergenicity and celiac disease potential of novel proteins.
- B.S. Biology, Eastern Washington University
- Ph.D. Dairy Science, The Ohio State University
- Post Doc. Immunology, Cornell University
Teaching and/or Extension Activities
- Faculty at workshops and research meetings on the safety assessment of genetically modified crops, food allergy risk assessment and allergen identification. Graduate students evaluate potential risks that new proteins might trigger allergies or celiac disease due to sequence identity to allergens or celiac peptides. Students learn to test human sera for IgE testing, pepsin digestion and animal models. Helped develop five-day teaching workshops on GM safety evaluations based on the CODEX Alimentarius guidelines in India, China, Argentina, South Africa and the European Union. Collaborations with non-profit groups on evaluating the safety of Golden Rice, insect resistant cowpea, bacterial blight resistant banana and mustard for Africa and Asia. Evaluated potential risks of allergy from seven proteins in a mustard plant modified to produce Omega 3 FA. Chairman of the WHO/IUIS Allergen Nomenclature Subcommittee. Manage the Allergenonline.org safety assessment database (www.allergenonline.org) that includes a celiac risk assessment database.
- Lu, M, Jin, Y, Cerny, R, Ballmer-Weber, B, Goodman RE. Combining 2-DE immunoblots and mass spectrometry to identify putative soybean (Glycine max) allergens. 2018. Food Chem Toxicol. 116(PtB):207-215.
- Delaney, B, Goodman, RE, Ladics GS. Food and feed safety of Genetically Engineered food crops. 2018. Toxicol Sci 162(2):361-371.
- Goodman, RE, Ebisawa, M, Ferreira F, Sampson, HA, van Ree, R, Vieths, S, Baumert, JL, Bohle, B, Lalithambika, S, Wise, J, Taylor, SL. 2016. AllergenOnline: A peer-reviewed, curated allergen database to assess novel food proteins for potential cross-reactivity. Mol Nutr Food Res 60(5):1183-1198.
- Jin, Y, He, X, Andoh-Kumi, K, Fraser, RZ, Lu, M, Goodman, RE. Evaluating potential risks of food allergy and toxicity of soy leghemoglobin expressed in Pichia pastoris. 2018. Mol Nutr Food Res 62(1). DOI: 10.1002/mnfr.201700297.
- Goodman RE. 2014. Biosafety evaluation and regulation of Genetically Modified (GM) crops in the United States. J Huazhong Agricultural University 33(6): in press (http://hnxbl.cnjournals.net/hznydxzr/ch/index.aspx ).
- Goodman RE, Panda R, Ariyarathna H. 2013. Evaluation of endogenous allergens for the safety evaluation of genetically engineered food crops: A review of potential risks, test methods, examples and relevance. J Agri Food Chem 61(35):8317-8332.
- Ladics GS, Knippels LM, Penninks AH, Bannon GA, Goodman RE, Herouet-Guicheney C. (2010). Review of animal models designed to predict the potential allergenicity of novel proteins in genetically modified crops. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 56(2):212-224.
- Ofori-Anti AO, Ariyarathna H, Chen L, Lee HL, Pramod SN, Goodman RE. (2008). Establishing objective detection limits for the pepsin digestion assay used in the assessment of genetically modified foods. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 52(2):94-103
- Goodman RE, Vieths S, Sampson HA, Hill D, Ebisawa M, Taylor SL, van Ree R. (2008). Allergenicity assessment of genetically modified crops-what makes sense? Nat Biotechnol 26(1):73-81.