We believe in the power of every person.
Research in my lab is aimed at improving the quality and health-promoting properties of cereal grains and their products, with particular emphasis on whole grains and dietary fibers. Our approaches are to:
- Develop methodologies for evaluation of end-use quality and chemical composition of whole grains
- Determine how differences in chemical and physical properties of whole grains influence end-use quality
- Identify grain components with potentially health-promoting properties using in vitro approaches
- Determine the impact of whole grain- and dietary fiber-containing foods on diet-related disease prevention in human and animal trials
- B.S. Food Science, Brigham Young University
- M.S. Food Science, Brigham Young University
- Ph.D., Food Science, Purdue University
- Post Doc., Food Technology, USDA-ARS
Teaching and/or Extension Activities
- Food Carbohydrates
- Food Chemistry
- Food Product Development
- Sensory Evaluation
- Gulati P, Brahma S, Graybosch RA, Chen Y, Rose DJ. 2020. In vitro digestibility of proteins from historical and modern wheat cultivars. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 100: 2579-2584.
- Morgounov A, Karaduman Y, Akin B, Aydogan S, Baenziger PS, Bhatta M, Chudinov V, Dreisigacker S, Govindan V, Güler S, Guzman C, Nehe A, Poudel R, Rose DJ, Gordeeva E, Shamanin V, Subasi K, Zelenskiy Y, Khlestkina EK. 2020. Yield and quality in purple-grained wheat isogenic lines. Agronomy 10:86.
- Navrotskyi S, Belamkar V, Baenziger PS, Rose DJ. 2020. Insights into the genetic architecture of bran friability and water retention capacity: Two important traits for whole grain end-use quality in winter wheat. Genes 11:838.
- Zhu L, Van Haute M, Hassenstab H, Smith C, Rose DJ, Mustoe A, Benson AK, French J. 2020. Fecal short-chain fatty acid concentrations increase in newly-paired male marmosets (Callithrix jacchus). mSphere 5:00794-20.
- Arslain, K, Gustafson CR, Baishya P, Rose DJ. 2021. Determinants of gluten-free diet adoption among individuals without celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Appetite 156:104958.
- Wang L, Rose DJ, Zhang Y. Development of prolamin-based composite nanoparticles for controlled-release of sulforaphane. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in press.
- Baenziger PS, Graybosch, RA, Rose DJ, Xu L, Guttieri M, Regassa T, Klein RN, Kruger GR, Santra DK, Hergert G, Wegulo SN, Jin Y, Kolmer J, Hein J, Bradshaw J, Chen MS, Bai G, Bowden RL, El-Basyoni I, Lorenz A, Poland J. Registration of NE10589’ (Husker Genetics Brand Ruth) hard red winter wheat. Journal of Plant Registrations in press.
- Smith C, Van Haute M, Rose DJ. Processing has differential effects on microbiota accessible carbohydrates in whole grains during in vitro fermentation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology in press.