We believe in the power of every person.
Research interests are the chemistry and analysis of cereal grains and other foods, including evaluation of the effects of processing technologies on the composition and chemistry of foods. Also, the development of rapid analytical methods for measuring food quality, and for predicting the end use characteristics of grains and other commodities. Current projects include development of near-infrared spectroscopy procedures to detect internal insect infestation in stored wheat, to evaluate frying oil quality, to measure degree of processing of extrusion cooked cereal products, and the development of chromatographic methods for measuring vitamins in cereal products.
- B.S. Milling Science, Kansas State University
- M.S. Grain Science, Kansas State University
- Ph.D. Grain Science Minor: Analytical Chemistry, Kansas State University
Teaching and/or Extension Activities
- Food Composition and Analysis, Advanced Food Analysis, Cereal Technology, Food Carbohydrates
- Yildiz, G., Wehling, R. L., and Cuppett, S. L. "Method for Determining Oxidation of Vegetable Oils by Near-Infrared Spectroscopy" J. Amer. Oil Chem. Soc. 2001, 78:495-502.
- Osseyi, E. S., Wehling, R. L., and Albrecht, J. A. "HPLC Determination of Stability and Distribution of Added Folic Acid and Some Endogenous Folates During Breadmaking" Cereal Chem. 2001, 78:375-378.
- Sulaeman, A., Keeler, L., Giraud, D.W., Taylor, S.L., Wehling, R.L., and Driskell, J.A. "Carotenoid Content and Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Carrot Chips Deep-Fried in Different Oils at Several Temperatures" J. Food Sci. 2001, 66:1257-1264.
- Yildiz, G., Wehling, R.L., and Cuppett, S.L. "Monitoring PV in Corn and Soybean Oils by NIR Spectroscopy" J. Amer. Oil Chem. Soc. 2002, 79:1085-1089.
- Yildiz, G., Wehling, R.L., and Cuppett, S.L. "Comparison of Four Analytical Methods for the Determination of Peroxide Value in Oxidized Soybean Oils" J. Amer. Oil Chem. Soc. 2003, 80:103-107.